You may be wondering why on earth anyone in their right mind would love an application.. I too questioned this video when it was first released as in how could someone enjoy filling out a college application? Then I got it. This video should not be taken literally as in - the Washington College application is super fun and you’ll fall in love with the physical application, BUT compared to others it’s unique in the best possible way.
So why should you “love” the WC application?
For one it’s completely free so there’s really no downside to applying to Washington College. I know that was a huge draw for me when I was looking at schools to apply at. At the time I applied to WAC I was still generally clueless in regards to the specialness that is Washington College, but because the application was free I was like #yolo and just applied. And thank goodness I did.
In addition to it being free WAC gives you the choice of filling it out by hand or online, which is another factor that contributes to this apps appeal.
Finally, quite possibly the most coveted part of this application is not the application itself, it’s the process. WAC cares about each and every application and that’s evident in the countless handwritten notes they write to prospective students and in the phone calls to them. It’s not just an advertising scheme (although it definitely does promote the school) - they truly care about helping prospective students find the college that’s best for them.
Although the application may not seem super thrilling to fill out - it gives you options, it’s free, and the people who read it really care about you as a person.
My recommendations to you prospective students looking to apply at WAC (or any school) is as follows:
- Do it. Just apply - there’s nothing to lose (IT’S FREE!)
- Apply early, but not too early. Once you’re satisfied with your SAT scores apply, but if you’re planning on submitting hopefully better scores later than wait. Trust me, this will help in getting larger scholarships.
- Come in for an interview and/or a tour. Talking to an admissions counselor during an interview is a great way for them to get to know you and improve your chances of getting in.
- Take advantage of your counselor! They’re there to answer your questions so ask away! You can also ask me questions on here and I’d gladly answer.
- Learn to enjoy the process because applying to college is a once in a lifetime experience. Although it may not be the most thrilling thing you do in your life, a positive attitude throughout this process could exponentially change your life for the better. This video gives the application process a light-hearted spin that is much needed during this stressful time. So enjoy it!